Monday, January 23, 2006

Goodbye Mammy


My Wife’s Maternal Grandmother, Polly “Mammy” Harold, passes away on the 13 of January. This is a very sad time for the Harold family. The only consolation is in the fact that Mammy is undisputedly in Heaven. Mammy was a strong and faithful Christian with a boundless heart for service. As much as she gave and gave for her own family she gave doubly to the Church and God. She will be missed here on earth, but I’m glad one of Gods servants has returned to heaven.

Mammy was also a focal point of the family. Nearly, all family get-togethers were at her home. If too many people were going to be there then we would have our get-togethers at the community building and Mammy would “cater” the food and desserts. She always had a smile and hugs for the adults and a soft-warm lap for the little ones.

Mammy, although not related through blood, had a special place in my own heart. I love both my grandmothers very much and love spending time with them, but they are not exactly the grandmothers you would expect to see on a Lifetime Original Movie (the Happy-Sappy ones). I’m talking about the Mrs. Claws at the North Pole type; angelic, bubbly, and something always warm on the stove. Mammy was that kind of grandmother! From the first time Angela brought me home, when we were dating, to the last time I gave Mammy a hug and said goodbye she has always treated me like one of her own grandchildren.

Mammy always had something cooking on the stove. In the 12 years that I knew her anytime we stopped by she always had something great to eat. We have most of her recipes now and with our growing cast iron collection we can get most of them close, however, nothing will ever be as good as mammy’s cooking.

I only wish we had gotten Mammy’s pecan pie recipe…

I know the Truth!!! hahaha... For 10 years I’ve requested that Mammy make me one of her pecan pie. I love pecan pie and “hers” were wonderful! Only recently have I found out that they were actually “Mrs. Edwards Frozen Pecan pies”. I’m tickled that she was not sure how to tell me so kept bringing the pies, year after year, under the pretense that she had made them. I’m more amused that although she tried to keep it a secret it seems that she let it slip more and more over the years. I’m not exactly sure how many people were privy to this information, but I’m starting to think I was the last one left who didn’t know. Baked or bought, her pecan pie always made me smile. Many times she would bring one just for me.

I love you mammy and I’ll miss you.

Sparky

(Click the first picture, or here, to be taken to a Gallery of Mammy's Photos)

No comments: