Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Prison Work!!!

This weekend I helped my Mom work on the banks of her creek. Over the last few year Richmond, VA has been hit with several heavy storms and hurricanes. This has caused flooding and erosion everywhere. To help combat the issue of erosion and slow flowing residential creeks the county is giving free rocks to anyone who has a creek on their property. This is both a blessing and a curse. They put the rocks in the most accessible area for their trucks. This happens to be my Mom and Dad’s front yard; around forty yards from the creek in the back yard. Also, there is only a small path to get a heavy-duty utility cart to the back and it is on a slope.

The average rock size was 15-20 pounds, however, a few boulders were easily 50 pounds. Judging by the way the cart acted with me in it compared to how it reacted to a full load of rocks; I’m guessing that a full cart of rocks weighed 300-400 pounds!! Between Saturday and Sunday I loaded, hauled, and unloaded (threw to the far bank) 23 carts, approximately 8000 pounds of rock.

Believe it or not I really enjoyed myself! Angela had taken the children to her family for the weekend. I got to spend time outside working, which I love, but don’t get to do enough of anymore. Also, I got to spend time with my Mom and Sister.

I really don’t care about the rat race most people toil in for most of their lives. It’s taken me a long time to realize this. If I could find a job where I got to work outdoors, no matter how strenuous, at my own pace, but still paid 20-30 dollars an hours with benefits I would take it!!!

Sparky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. When you find that job, send me an application too.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»